Rob Hutchings is a chiropractor who conducts his business at Body Brilliant Chermside, in Brisbane. He is a member of the Chiropractors’ Association of Australia. Hutchings is a self-confessed anti-vaccinationist who first came to our attention, in 2010, for making anti-vaccine comments on the Facebook page of the disreputable Australian Vaccination Network. Hutchings has appeared in this blog several times; most recently for claiming that his Facebook profile had been hacked whenever his Facebook profile had made anti-vaccine comments on the internet. The following are Hutchings’ treatment and cure claims made this year in the Facebook group, Chiropractic Success Stories.
August 12 – Doctor can stick science and drugs up his arse.
– I love it… with all the fuss going on in Australia over chiropractic, a patient of mine went to PATIENT’s GP to tell GP PATIENT wouldn’t be needing the anti- inflammatories, the antidepressants (that winning combination) or the referral to the surgeon for a lumbar spine fusion
– When asked how PATIENT managed to get PATIENT better, PATIENT replied, “My chiropractor helped me.”
– He turned beet red, and began to sputter that chiropractic has no scientific basis, PATIENT’d been ripped off by a quack, you know the routine
– PATIENT is a rather prim and proper PATIENT from England (Brits, please forgive me with the stereotype, but it is important to the story!) and PATIENT politely let him do his scripted rant
– PATIENT then asked, “How many years have I been your patient?”
– “More than 20 years” he replied
– “And how many years have I suffered back pain?”
– “More than 20 years” he replied
– “And what was the scientific basis for giving me antidepressants?” PATIENT asked
– “Because pain has got to be upsetting.” he replied
– “And do you know how long I’ve been seeing the chiropractor?” PATIENT asked
– “4 months. That’s it. 4 months. And I have no back pain, I can go for a walk, I can go for a swim, I can socialise with my friends with no pain, I don’t suffer the horrible side effects of the drugs anymore, so please forgive me when I say, ‘shove your science and your drugs up your ass.’
August 14 – ADHD cured. Hutchings’ workshop on ADHD drew patient.
– A re-share of one of my personal favourites. Another kid off Ritalin.
– An XX year old PATIENT was brought in by his FAMILY MEMBER after FAMILY MEMBER’d become a patient, had attended my regular workshop and later a special workshop on ADHD
– I’m continually amazed by mind boggling hypocrisy of “skeptics” who say chiro for kids is unsafe and will shout it from the roof tops in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary and seem quite content to sit back and say, “Yeah, giving kids psychotropic drugs is a good idea.”
– Anyway, this PATIENT was brought in and had been diagnosed with ADHD
– PATIENT FAMILY MEMBERS out of desperation had begrudgingly allowed PATIENT’s doctor to give PATIENT Ritalin
– The science of Ritalin was proven true. PATIENT’s doctor marvelled that it “worked.” And purely from a scientific point of view, it did. If the question you ask is, “Will Ritalin help with curbing hyperactive behaviour?” the answer is often (at least for a while), “Yes.”
– When I met the PATIENT, PATIENT’d been on Ritalin for 8 or 9 months and was more or less a zombie. Too bad the scientific question the drug pushers wasn’t, “Is ADHD caused by a deficiency of Ritalin” and “Should we bother asking the question, “Is Ritalin causing a shit load of harm to the child who’s brain we are messing around with?”
– Anyway, PATIENT was suffering all sorts of “Side Effects”, you know, those actual EFFECTS of the drug not brought up as the question in the science experiment of messing with brain chemistry of developing minds
– PATIENT was suffering kidney damage, even more impaired sleep, was a complete zombie, eyes were glazed over, was getting headaches and blood in PATIENT’s urine
– After hearing me speak about the possible causes of ADHD, PATIENT’s FAMILY MEMBER brought PATIENT in. I routinely speak about the issue. I do not claim that subluxation is the sole cause of ADHD and that chiropractic is the “cure” because it is not. Over the years, I’ve observed that subluxation is sometimes the sole cause. I’ve observed it to be a contributing factor, along with poor diet and chemical toxicity. I’ve also observed as a factor, just plain shitty parenting. (Apologies if that sounds judgemental, especially coming from a non parent, but hey, sometimes it’s true. In this case however, it was NOT a factor.)
– Prior to coming to see me, the FAMILY MEMBERS had given PATIENT a strict organic diet to see if this would help. That’s a good idea to do for health and well being anyway, but in this case it did not seem to put a dent in the symptoms. Its worth noting, that I’ve observed some cases of ADHD have the symptoms completely reverse with this intervention alone
– Prior to coming in, the FAMILY MEMBER had re-vamped the home with a range of toxic free products that I recommend in my toxic elimination talk. It helped clear the PATIENT’s eczema, but no other observable changes were seen in that 3 weeks before brining PATIENT to me. Over the years, I’ve also observed some cases where the symptoms disappear just with this intervention
– Usually, however, it is the triad that is going wrong, and that’s when I’ve seen the overwhelming majority of cases improve when all three are implemented. That is, chiropractic, good diet and reduce toxicity
– So I found a huge subluxation of the Atlas, a kyphotic neck and a severely titled and rotated pelvis. T8 was also badly subluxated and this made a lot of sense…. nerve supply to the liver, PATIENT was having trouble flushing out toxins from PATIENT’s body
– So I began adjusting PATIENT 2 x / week
– Safety of chiropractic compared to safety of medical management:
– Chiropractic: No injuries or adverse reactions
– Ritalin: Damn near killed PATIENT
– At 2 weeks PATIENT’s eyes began to focus
– At 3 weeks PATIENT began to sleep much better, almost through the night
– At 4 weeks the family decision was made to wean PATIENT off of Ritalin
– At 6 weeks, this process was completed. PATIENT stopped having blood in PATIENT’s urine from then on
– At 7 week, PATIENT’s teachers noted PATIENT was completely focused in school, was not disruptive in any way
– At 8 weeks PATIENT was playing actually PLAYING soccer!!!
– At 12 weeks, PATIENT’s doctor marvelled that the Ritalin had finally “cured” PATIENT before being told that PATIENT wasn’t taking it anymore and was told what actually happened. The family was told it was a case of (remember that acronym I coined a few weeks ago?) Spontaneous Remission Coincidentally Timed With Chiropractic Adjustments
– I need no acknowledgement from medics, but I have grown fond of the large number of medics with different specialties over the years have credited healing of their previously sick patients with S.R.C.T.W.C.A.
– Since we all know MDs are all 100% evidence based and everyone else is 0% evidence based, it’s amusing to see the experts keep suffering from Brachio-oro-anal-encephalitis. (i.e. Arm down their throat and head up their ass!)
August 26 – Seven month old baby was put on anti-depressants by doctor. Baby stopped crying due to adjustments. Hutchings’ health expo talk drew patients. Denigration of medical profession.
– So PARENT1 took BABY to the doctor. PARENT1’s 7 month old BABY had essentially not stopped crying since day one
– So, they took the baby to the doctor. And who wouldn’t trust a doctor? It seems many laws are either passed or in the works to make it criminal to second guess…… but I digress…..
– Tests were done. Blood work, urine, etc
– Conclusion: The baby could be depressed
– But apparently the good doctor in this case decided that the baby was depressed. WHo knows the circumstances? Perhaps the baby was pissed off that BABY was in a room painted pink when BABY clearly wanted a blue room because BABY is planning to grow up to be a tom-boy. Maybe BABY’s upset because BABY’s brand of diapers isn’t as expensive as what the cool kids are using these days
– But nobody investigated the cause of BABY’s depression. It was decided that the cause was a deficiency of anti depressants
– So as is becoming increasingly common in Australia, a 7 month old baby was put on prozac
– After a few months of this, and with the baby still crying as much as BABY had before, PARENT2 put PARNET2’s foot down. “Babies don’t get depressed unless you abuse them! And we weren’t abusing BABY until we allowed that asshole to give BABY drugs.”
– PARENT2 had heard me speak at a health expo, did not accept a new patient consult when offered and I assumed I’d never see PARENT2 again
– But PARENT2 called up 3 weeks ago and brought PARENT2’s BABY in along with PARENT2’s skeptical and frightened PARENT1
– WHile they were there, because the new patient consult took longer than planned, another family showed up for their adjustments. So I excused myself and went and adjusted the family, including a 1 year old who previously suffered from ear infections
– The new family watched the adjustments in amazement and bewilderment. The 5 year old was giggling on the bench, high fived me afterwards, and it seems I did not seperate her head from her neck!!
– So that was what it took
– So I adjusted the baby on a Monday. And again on a Thursday. When they came in on Thursday they told me they had the first 2 nights in 7 months when not only the baby slept through the night, THEY slept through the night!!! The little BABY had only cried a few times during those two days for several minutes!!
– They informed the doctor of what had happened. Prior to getting to the fact that this happened as a result of chiropractic care, the doctor interupted, “I guess those pills worked. BABY’s not depressed any more.”
– Well, they told the doctor, ‘No, we took BABY to a chiropractor.”
– “THAT’S NOT SCIENTIFIC!!!” The rant began….
– Guess what? PARENT2 was prepared for that. PARENT2 had previously researched the psychotropic drugging of children…. and…. gasp…. it turns out there are no studies that show that giving a baby antidepressants is safe, effective or even a logical assumption to make that a little baby who is not being abused could be so upset over BABY’s crib’s brand name that BABY would develop clinical depression
– “Who are you going to trust?” The MD demanded, “A quack or a real doctor?!?!”
– PARENT2 responded, ‘I’m going to trust the man who said that giving mind altering drugs to a baby is probably a bad idea and more importantly was the first person to help us get the health result we all wanted and needed!”
– P.S. PARENT1 and PARENT2 are now patients too. PARENT1 no longer suffers headaches after 20+ years of daily headaches. PARENT2 is now seeing that PARENT2’s lower back feels better and now that PARENT2 can sleep through the night, says PARENT2’s getting back into running and cycling
– P.P.S. Is giving babies antidepressants becoming more common in other countries as well? I’ve only seen the Australian reports
August 29 – Adjustments of subluxations lead to ability to eat chocolate again.
– A PATIENT of about XX something years has been a patient for just over 3 months. PATIENT came in with a huge list of health problems, and it was a very begrudging intital consultation and PATIENT was very clear that the only reason PATIENT began chiropractic was because it was about the only thing PATIENT hadn’t tried and PATIENT had nothing to lose
– PATIENT’s PARTNER was equally skeptical, was very hesitant about spending money because they’d already spent a fortune on drugs
– PATIENT suffered back pain and migraines for about 30 years. PATIENT’d suffer migraines on average a few times a week. PATIENT’d always carry “emergency drugs”, PATIENT missed out on many vacations, either by not going at all or by being too sick and unwell to enjoy them wherever PATIENT went
– PATIENT’d had a laminectomy some years ago with no relief of symptoms following it
– PATIENT suffered migraines regularly and more often in response to certain triggers
– One of the triggers was chocolate. PATIENT hadn’t had chocolate in 30 YEARS!!! How terrible would that be???? 30 YEARS of no chocolate has got to be the worst thing ever!!
– A few weeks ago I mentioned that often when the nerve system works better when it is free of subluxation, stressors that trigger migraines are often innately healed and they may no longer trigger migraines
– Since PATIENT has been feeling so much better anyway, hasn’t had drugs in 2 months, PATIENT’s PARTNER feels so much happier because PATIENT is actually WELL, very little back pain, no headaches, do dizziness, much more clarity of thought….. PATIENT decided to take it a step further….. PATIENT tried a few squares of chocolate…..
– NO MIGRAINE..
– A few squares of chocolate became a whole bar of chocolate
– NO MIGRAINE!!!!
– Imagine that??!!! No chocolate for 30 years, 3 months of chiropractic, and you can now EAT CHOCOLATE!!!!
– The moral of the story: Get adjusted, Eat chocolate, life is wonderful
Publicly captured image courtesy Facebook 2011.
Thanks to Super Shooper for halo addition.
All of Hutchings’ stories come from a closed Facebook group called Chiropractic Success Stories. I am reproducing these abridged stories under Fair Dealing, and in the public interest, for the following reasons: Hutchings admits to treating coma patients in a hospital and admits that he knows that this is a breach of the Code of Conduct for Chiropractors; Hutchings is demonstrably using anti-vaccination misinformation in treating patients; Hutchings is demonstrably claiming to treat or cure conditions outside of his scope of practise; Hutchings admits to using anecdotal stories in his private practice. Patients are also drawn from public screenings; and Hutchings admits that these stories are used as word of mouth testimonials in schools and kindergartens, thereby accruing more patients.
Although listed as a “closed group”, the Facebook group Chiropractic Success Stories cannot realistically claim to be a private group for the use of chiropractors only: it has over 3500 members; non-practitioners are regularly permitted to join; Hutchings knows that the group is not private, referring to “trolls” in the group on several occasions; and group administrators and Hutchings are aware that stories from the group have been shared on Facebook and elsewhere on numerous occasions.
I have edited Hutchings’ comments into point form so as to retain the content of his claims without boring the reader into a subluxation-induced coma, brought on due to his overuse of words employed in the act of fictional self-aggrandisement. Hutchings’ original spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors are retained.
I have replaced pronouns, ages, and genders of individuals – where possible – with “PATIENT”, “PATIENT1”, “PARENT1”, “FAMILY MEMBER”, and “XX”.
Basically, the text is Hutchings’. I’ve replaced words for the purposes of anonymising the stories, and the people used in them.
List of posts in this series:
- January 2015: Substance abuse cured; Menstrual pain cured. Patient rendered artistic; Spondylolisthesis and constipation cured.
- February 2015: Depression, cough, thyroid cured. Hutchings’ community talk drew patient; Kidney stones cured. Forced treatment on mother; Dyslexia cured; XX year old multiple conditions. Sinus, ear infection, diarrhoea, asthma, digestion cured.
- March 2015: Gardasil injury cured. Hutchings no fan of vaccines; Infertility cured; Huntington’s Disease treated; Asthma cured. Hutchings’ talk drew patient; Gardasil vaccine injury cured.
- April 2015: Abusive relationship cured. Hutchings’ talks drew patient; Schizophrenia cured. Hutchings’ workshops use testimonials; Self harm cured.
- May, June 2015: Seizures cured. Hutchings’ public screening drew patient; Coma patient cured. Adjusting in hospitals. Hutchings knowingly breaching Code of Conduct for Chiropractors.
- July 2015: Bhutan ear infection cured; Deafness cured and patient’s drawing; Liver transplant cancelled. Hutchings uses success stories in his workshops; Deafness cured. Hutchings’ drew patients via kindergarten stories; Anxiety cured; Adjustments treated learning disability and caused an increase in maths scores; Made up acronym; Bedwetting, ear infection, deafness all cured. Referrals from kindy. Hutchings is “Unfuckwithable”.
The Chiropractic Messiah Monologues 7
- August 2015: Doctor can stick science and drugs up his arse; ADHD cured. Hutchings’ workshop on ADHD drew patient; Seven month old baby was put on anti-depressants by doctor. Baby stopped crying due to adjustments. Hutchings’ health expo talk drew patients. Denigration of medical profession; Adjustments of subluxations lead to ability to eat chocolate again.